Project Directive

  • Create an engaging onboarding experience for new users
  • Reduce the number of calls from new users
  • Increase enrollment rates in notifications, storage, and location services

My Role

UX research & usability testing
Prototyping & workflow design
Persona generation

Phase 1

Understand the Business Problem

GEICO Mobile was not fulfilling its role as a policy management tool.

New customers were:

  • Calling instead of using the app to make updates
  • Dialing for roadside assistance rather than initiating claims electronically

The appliaction’s goal of 100% digital self-service was falling short of its goal.

Phase 2

New Customer Interviews

New policy holders were the target audience for this research. I interviewed eight customers that had purchased insurance within the past six months.

Interview Objectives

  • Asses what thoughts users have after purchasing an insurance policy
  • Identify user expectations and expose product gaps

Key Discoveries

For accidents, updates, cancellation (big stuff) users call
Wanted peace of mind; confidence & accuracy
New users want to look for confirmation; make sure address, drivers, and vehicles were correct
The process was overwhelming, hesitant to add another step in an already lengthy process; too many questions

Phase 3

Existing Customers Survey

I distributed a survey to existing customers (Power Users) to compile data on the perceptions of active users and create a well-rounded model of what it meant to be a “new customer.”

Rating Scale

  1. Strongly Disagree
  2. Somewhat Disagree
  3. Neutral
  4. Somewhat Agree
  5. Strongly Agree

Survey Results

I was confident in my knowledge about insurance.
I had everything I needed as a policy holder.
I needed the help of technical person to use the app.
I would like to use this app frequently.

Phase 4

Generate Personas

The insights from the user interviews and their survey responses led to the creation of a persona named Sue. Sue’s uncertainty during the onboarding experience, lack of confidence in her insurance, and difficulty adopting technology became key problems to solve.

Phase 5

Establish context for personas

New Driver Sue needed to feel confident in her choices and have peace of mind that she’s fully covered in case of emergency.

I created context for Sue by designing templates that explained why permissions were essential. Simultaneously, Sue learned about the range of capabilities the app had.

Design Templates

Phase 6

Usability Testing

With templates in hand, I collected feedback from users about account activation and the permissions UX.

Too much context is not a good thing! Rather than overload an already difficult process, I identified a small opportunity to show three slides to users during registration.


Comparing Registration Flows

Results from a satisfaction questionnare suggested the new registration process with added context (orange) out performed the old registration process (red).

Business Impact & Final Designs

In production, context-building onboard led to a modest increase in rates of enabled permissions. The outstanding illustrations and well-curated language had a positive impact on the application’s UX.